Affine - Remove unwanted sites from your search engine results
Tired of irrelevant sites and advertising? Wouldn't it be nice if you could:
- Hide unwanted sites in your search engine results?
- Get rid of sponsored links, banners and advertising?
- Search faster by going directly to the sites you click, rather than sending your browsing habits to search engines?
When you view search engine results, Affine adds two icons next to each result: the icon, which hides the site and the icon which fades it, for this and all future searches. The toolbar allows you to switch the filtering on and off and shows the number of sites currently hidden.
Things that are better off hidden
- Subscription sites. You've already decided that you don't want to pay to view a site's content, why display it in your results?
- Bookshops. You're looking for a solution now, buying a book is not going to solve your immediate problem.
- Abstract catalogs. The search engine will find the article you're after if it exists anyway, what use is the abstract?
- Patent sites. How often do you really want to know about a patent?
- Workplace. Many companies bar employees from visiting to social and video websites. If the site is forbidden, there's no point in displaying a link to it.
- Works with all major search engines
(About, Alexa, AOL, Ask, Bing, Cuil, Excite, Google, Yahoo)
- Speeds your browsing by removing redirects
- Tested with XP, Vista, IE6 IE7 and IE8
- No limits, spyware, adware or nagware
- It's free!
- Click here: affine.zip
(2.3 Mb. Downloads : 19)
- If you receive a warning message in the Explorer bar, choose "Download file"
- Select "SAVE" and choose a folder on your computer
- Unzip affine.zip and run setup.exe
- Leave a comment on my blog >;-)
Most likely reason: You've inadvertently switched off the filter. If the filter icon on the Affine toolbar hasn't got a blue circle on it, click to re-enable the filter.
Another reason: You are browsing with the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer, which is not supported, sorry.
Unlikely (and unpleasant) reason: The search engine has changed the format of its search results to the extent that Affine can no longer identify the links to add the icons. Please, send me an email and I'll do my best to fix the problem, as it affects all Affine users. Thanks.